Saturday, May 17, 2008

Happy to Be

Here in Northern California, we are having a heat wave, and my bottle of Clinique's Happy to Be has finally come into its own.

I picked this up after a long love affair with Clinique's Happy, and for about a year, found that I could not wear it. (This is the sort of thing that used to make me feel like an idiot until I heard scentbloggers saying the same kind of thing. What scentbloggers may say about my love affair with Happy is another matter. Hands off my Happy. It makes me happy.)

Anyway, I have discovered that the defining element for making Happy to Be's honeysuckle-and-cucumbery notes get along with my body chemistry is heat above eighty-five degrees. The sweetness no longer radiates obnoxiously the way it does when I wear this in slightly cooler weather, the weird watery chemical notes smell clean and cool, rather than, well, weird. Best of all, the scent is somehow tricking my brain into believing I am surrounded by cool gardens full of ponds, rather than in my sweltering apartment with a pool outside that will not be opened until Memorial Day, no matter HOW hot it gets.

The only problem I am facing now is how rapidly the scent is burning off in this weather--while in cooler times, my concern was how determinedly it clung to me--but I just keep spritzing, and praying for fog.

No comments: